East Bay News
'Suspicious' explosion rocks Hayward strip mall
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- Investigators in Hayward are trying to find the cause of a frightening explosion and early morning fire at a store in a shopping mall that blew glass and debris more than 100 feet, destroying a store.
Alameda County fire investigators and sheriff's deputies were at Blossom Way and Meekland Ave. in Unincorporated Hayward Monday morning trying to figure out how it happened.
"It is early. Agencies are still working on collecting information and nothing has been ruled out," said fire department spokesperson Aisha Knowles.
It happened around 3:20 a.m. Monday and the point of origin was a hip hop store called "The Shop." The owner said he has owned that shop and the barber shop next door for 12 years.
"We are saying it was a suspicious fire at this time," Sgt. J.D. Nelson said Monday. "There is some evidence here that leads us to believe that."
hayward, fire, explosion, east bay news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit" 42 min ago
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments 50 min ago
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans 17 min ago
- Supermodel Gisele's breastfeeding pic stirs debate
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 27 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
8 min ago
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball...
42 min ago