East Bay News
Details emerge about UC Berkeley shooting
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Details continue to emerge about the man killed by UC Berkeley police Tuesday afternoon. Police say they shot and killed Christopher Travis after he threatened them with a gun at the Haas School of Business.
Travis, 32, was a first-semester student at UC Berkeley; he had just transferred from Ohlone College in Fremont, where he had been an honor student.
Given his relatively short time at the school, didn't know him well at Cal, but they did at the Allied Barton Security Company. Travis worked for the company as a guard and they thought so much of him they used his story in a promotional video.
There is video of the shooting. It was recorded on the closed circuit television system inside the Haas School of Business computer lab. UC Berkeley Police Captain Margo Bennett says the video confirms what the officers and witness reported.
"Mr. Travis looked up, saw the officers, he reached in his backpack he pulled the weapon, the officers pulled their weapons, they told him, 'Drop the gun, drop the gun,' they repeated instructed him to drop his weapon,' Bennett said. "He pointed the weapon at the officers and one of our officers shot multiple times, hitting Travis multiple times; he was transported to Highland Hospital and later died from his injuries."
Bennet told reporters that some people who knew Travis have come forward to say his behavior had changed over the past couple of weeks.
Travis was taking undergraduate classes at the Haas School of Business; he reportedly wanted a career in international business and was hoping for an internship at the United Nations.
Police say they have no idea what caused him to bring a loaded handgun to campus and then point it at police.
There were nine students in the computer lab when the shooting happened.
The dean of the school told ABC7 students are being offered psychological counseling to help deal with what happened.
shooting, uc berkeley, berkeley, east bay news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bay Area communities wake up to freezing temps
- Family, friends hold out hope for missing family
- Rally targets Sonoma County DA over teen's death
- San Jose firefighters battle mobile home park blaze
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Man grabs iPhone from pregnant woman at hospital
- San Jose lingerie company taking on 'Fit Mom'
- New video released of suspect who threw 2 cats into bay
- USPS looking for volunteers to answer letters to Santa
- Lockheed Martin challenges engineers to build a car in 1 day
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SJ police contract; Construction moritorium
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday