East Bay News
Fireplace ashes spark patio fire in Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. -- A patio fire that damaged a house in Berkeley early this morning was sparked by fireplace ashes a resident had disposed of improperly, the city's fire marshal said.
Firefighters responded to a home in the 2000 block of Parker Street shortly after midnight after a neighbor reported seeing a fire burning on the home's back patio, Fire Marshal John Fitch said.
Flames had spread to an exterior wall of the home and climbed up to the roof, but firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly, he said.
The home's residents had been woken up by neighbors and got out of the house safely, he said.
The one-alarm fire was initially considered suspicious because there was no obvious ignition source.
Then, Fitch said, "The woman remembered that early that morning, she had taken out some ashes from the fireplace and put them in a paper bag and put it on the patio."
The blaze caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, but "it could have been much worse," Fitch said.
He reminded residents to be extremely cautious when disposing of fireplace ashes, and recommended that ashes be watered down and placed outdoors in a metal container with a lid for a day or two before they are thrown away.
"It's a good lesson learned," he said.
fire, berkeley, east bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday