East Bay News
Danville Marine killed in Afghanistan
DANVILLE, Calif. -- A 19-year-old Marine from Danville was killed in Afghanistan Friday, according to a Danville city councilman, and his death represents the second Bay Area war casualty in as many days.
Joshua Corral, a 2010 graduate of San Ramon Valley High School, was killed in Afghanistan Friday afternoon, according to Councilman Mike Doyle. The Department of Defense had not released notification of Corral's death as of this morning.
Corral played freshman football at the high school, and his death was announced to the crowd attending Friday night's home game against Castro Valley.
"Everybody's devastated here because he was a nice, nice, nice, nice boy," Doyle said this morning when reached by phone.
Sean Walsh, a 21-year-old California National Guard soldier from San Jose, was killed Wednesday in Afghanistan's Khost Province, the Department of Defense announced Friday.
Walsh died from injuries suffered when he encountered indirect fire during combat operations.
He is the second California National Guardsman to be killed in action in Afghanistan.
marines, afghanistan, east bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos