East Bay News
Danville Marine killed in Afghanistan
DANVILLE, Calif. -- A 19-year-old Marine from Danville was killed in Afghanistan Friday, according to a Danville city councilman, and his death represents the second Bay Area war casualty in as many days.
Joshua Corral, a 2010 graduate of San Ramon Valley High School, was killed in Afghanistan Friday afternoon, according to Councilman Mike Doyle. The Department of Defense had not released notification of Corral's death as of this morning.
Corral played freshman football at the high school, and his death was announced to the crowd attending Friday night's home game against Castro Valley.
"Everybody's devastated here because he was a nice, nice, nice, nice boy," Doyle said this morning when reached by phone.
Sean Walsh, a 21-year-old California National Guard soldier from San Jose, was killed Wednesday in Afghanistan's Khost Province, the Department of Defense announced Friday.
Walsh died from injuries suffered when he encountered indirect fire during combat operations.
He is the second California National Guardsman to be killed in action in Afghanistan.
marines, afghanistan, east bay news
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd 47 min ago