East Bay News
Danville Marine killed in Afghanistan
DANVILLE, Calif. -- A 19-year-old Marine from Danville was killed in Afghanistan Friday, according to a Danville city councilman, and his death represents the second Bay Area war casualty in as many days.
Joshua Corral, a 2010 graduate of San Ramon Valley High School, was killed in Afghanistan Friday afternoon, according to Councilman Mike Doyle. The Department of Defense had not released notification of Corral's death as of this morning.
Corral played freshman football at the high school, and his death was announced to the crowd attending Friday night's home game against Castro Valley.
"Everybody's devastated here because he was a nice, nice, nice, nice boy," Doyle said this morning when reached by phone.
Sean Walsh, a 21-year-old California National Guard soldier from San Jose, was killed Wednesday in Afghanistan's Khost Province, the Department of Defense announced Friday.
Walsh died from injuries suffered when he encountered indirect fire during combat operations.
He is the second California National Guardsman to be killed in action in Afghanistan.
marines, afghanistan, east bay news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars 20 min ago
- Free health clinics to take place in the Bay Area 52 min ago
- Tri-Valley area could see higher drought rates
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos