East Bay News
Youth counselor pleads guilty to child porn
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A Pleasant Hill youth counselor pleaded guilty in federal court in Oakland today to producing child pornography.
Thomas Perez Jewell, 54, admitted to sexually molesting two minors and to producing child pornography of the molestation, according to the U.S. Attorney's office.
Jewell had been employed by Contra Costa County as a youth mental health counselor intern and worked at the Juvenile Hall in Martinez.
He also had a private practice where he worked as a youth counselor.
Jewell was arrested on Friday when law enforcement executed a search warrant at his home on suspicion of possession of child pornography.
He is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 29 and is facing a sentence of 15 to 30 years in prison.
In accordance with state and federal law, Jewell will be required to register as a sex offender.
pleasant hill, crime, sex offender, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday