East Bay News
Man shot in parking lot of Walmart in San Leandro
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A person was shot outside a San Leandro Walmart early Friday morning after an attempted robbery, police said.
Police received a report of a fight in front of the Walmart at 15555 Hesperian Blvd. around 1:50 a.m.
Officers already patrolling near the parking lot went to the center lot aisle near the front of the store where they found a victim suffering from a gunshot wound and the victim's family members detaining a possible suspect, police said.
It appears the victims were walking to their car when multiple suspects confronted them, police said.
After suspects asked the victims for their items and were refused, a fight ensued. One suspect pulled a gun and shot one of the victims.
The victim was taken to a hospital in critical, but stable condition, police said.
Family members wrestled down one of the suspects as another fled.
Once officers arrived, the detained suspect -- a man in his mid-20s -- was arrested, police said.
It is unknown if the arrested man was the gunman in the incident.
The Hesperian Boulevard Walmart listed its doors opening Thursday night at 10 p.m. for early Black Friday shopping and deals.
San Leandro police Sgt. Mike Sobek told reporters at the scene this morning it was a "robbery gone bad."
Walmart parking lot entrances were reportedly blocked by numerous police cars at 4 a.m. after the shooting, a clerk said from the Big 5 Sporting Goods across the street.
Police said investigators are still at the scene this morning.
san leandro, shooting, crime, black friday, walmart, east bay news
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Brentwood students in trouble for nude selfies 45 min ago
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos