East Bay News
Man shot in parking lot of Walmart in San Leandro
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A person was shot outside a San Leandro Walmart early Friday morning after an attempted robbery, police said.
Police received a report of a fight in front of the Walmart at 15555 Hesperian Blvd. around 1:50 a.m.
Officers already patrolling near the parking lot went to the center lot aisle near the front of the store where they found a victim suffering from a gunshot wound and the victim's family members detaining a possible suspect, police said.
It appears the victims were walking to their car when multiple suspects confronted them, police said.
After suspects asked the victims for their items and were refused, a fight ensued. One suspect pulled a gun and shot one of the victims.
The victim was taken to a hospital in critical, but stable condition, police said.
Family members wrestled down one of the suspects as another fled.
Once officers arrived, the detained suspect -- a man in his mid-20s -- was arrested, police said.
It is unknown if the arrested man was the gunman in the incident.
The Hesperian Boulevard Walmart listed its doors opening Thursday night at 10 p.m. for early Black Friday shopping and deals.
San Leandro police Sgt. Mike Sobek told reporters at the scene this morning it was a "robbery gone bad."
Walmart parking lot entrances were reportedly blocked by numerous police cars at 4 a.m. after the shooting, a clerk said from the Big 5 Sporting Goods across the street.
Police said investigators are still at the scene this morning.
san leandro, shooting, crime, black friday, walmart, east bay news
- Man killed after metal pipe crashes into car on I-580 36 min ago
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose 56 min ago
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- 49ers fear Michael Crabtree has torn Achilles 51 min ago
- IRS official Lois Lerner: I did nothing wrong
- Events planned to mark Harvey Milk Day 46 min ago
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel 30 min ago
- Rankings released of best and worst airlines
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs 34 min ago
- roundup: Boy nearly run-over; Oklahoma aid
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday