East Bay News
Car chase causes power outage in Richmond
RICHMOND, Calif. -- A high-speed chase involving the California Highway Patrol ended when a suspect vehicle hit a utility pole in Richmond this morning, knocking power out for thousands of residents.
San Francisco CHP officers chased a BMW at speeds in excess of 100 mph through Oakland and into Richmond on Interstate Highway 580, beginning at around 2:30 a.m., Richmond police said.
The car exited the highway at the Regatta Boulevard exit in Richmond and crashed into a utility pole on that road.
The collision caused power lines to fall into the road, starting a small fire, which was extinguished by the Richmond Fire Department. Four suspects fled the vehicle on foot, and one woman was trapped in the car. She was treated for non-life-threatening injuries after emergency personnel freed her from the vehicle.
Because the crash threw live wires into the roadway, PG&E was forced to shut off power in the area, Richmond police said.
Initially 2,756 customers were impacted by the outage. PG&E crews had power restored to all but 446 customers by 5 a.m., said PG&E spokeswoman Jana Morris.
The affected areas are between South Second Street and South 23rd Street, and also between South 39th Street and San Pablo Avenue.
Morris said that PG&E crews remain on the scene and power is expected to be fully restored by 10:30 a.m.
power outage, crash, police chase, richmond, CHP, east bay news
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday