East Bay News
Community meeting to be held on cannonball incident
DUBLIN, Calif. -- Authorities in Alameda County are holding a community meeting on Saturday to address residents' concerns about last week's incident in which a stunt gone awry at a Dublin bomb range sent a cannonball careening into a neighborhood.
A crew from the Discovery Channel show MythBusters was filming a segment at the county's Regional Training Center on Madigan Road the afternoon of Dec. 6 when the mishap occurred.
As part of the stunt, a 30-pound, softball-size cannonball was supposed to pass through several barrels of water and a cinderblock wall before striking the bomb range's hills, Alameda County sheriff's spokesman J.D. Nelson said.
However, the projectile missed the water, broke through the wall and ricocheted off the hillside into a neighborhood near Cassata Place, damaging two homes and a parked car.
No one was injured, but residents were upset, pointing out that children often play near where the cannonball landed and that the outcome could have been worse than damage to property.
Saturday's meeting will take place at 11 a.m. at the Alameda County Office of Emergency Services at 4985 Broder Blvd. in Dublin.
Dublin police and the Alameda County sheriff's personnel will attend, as will representatives from the MythBusters show, Nelson said.
"The purpose of this is to provide an opportunity for area residents to share concerns about the recent MythBusters cannonball incident with us," Nelson said.
He said the sheriff's office oversees the Regional Training Center where the accident happened, and that most activities at the center's bomb range have been suspended indefinitely.
alameda county, dublin, explosion, television, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 38 min ago
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam 42 min ago
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game 9 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying 10 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Firework thrown into bleachers during...
9 min ago