East Bay News
Family of six displaced by kitchen fire
PITTSBURG, Calif. -- A family of six was displaced by a kitchen fire at their Pittsburg home Tuesday night, a Contra Costa Fire Protection District official said today.
The blaze was reported on Atherton Circle at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, and firefighters arrived a short time later to find smoke coming from the home's attic, Fire Marshal Lewis Broschard said.
Broschard said a woman who was in the home when the fire started was able to exit safely. The five other residents were not at home.
Firefighters contained the blaze in about 20 minutes, but the fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the home, leaving it uninhabitable.
Broschard said that fire, which started in the oven area, was preventable.
"Cooking fires are probably the number-one cause for fires in single-family dwellings, and people really need to take caution ... making sure they're monitoring what's on the stove or oven and not leaving it unattended for extended periods of time," he said.
pittsburg, fire, east bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Cal housing vote; Candlestick soccer 20 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday