East Bay News
Man suspected in more than 50 dumpster fires
PLEASANT HILL, Calif. -- Police in Pleasant Hill are searching for a man who led officers on a chase in a stolen van this morning, crashing into another car and attempting to ram a police vehicle in the process.
Officers said they spotted the 2003 Ford van, which had been reported stolen to the Concord Police Department on Dec. 18, around 10 a.m. today near of Contra Costa Boulevard and Woodsworth Lane.
Police said the driver, identified as 28-year-old Jared Powell, fled when he saw marked patrol cars approaching.
While fleeing from police, Powell crashed into a vehicle that was stopped at a red light and tried to ram a patrol car, police said.
He then drove north in the southbound lanes of state Highway 242 at Grant Street, and officers called off the chase, police said.
Police found the van abandoned a short time later at the intersection of Erie Drive and Esperanza Drive.
Officers searched the area but did not find the suspect.
Police say there is probable cause to arrest Powell on suspicion of vehicle theft, assault with a deadly weapon and felony evasion.
Anyone with information about Powell or his whereabouts is asked to call the Pleasant Hill Police Department at (925) 288-4630.
fire, arson, pittsburg, east bay news
- Child thrown from apartment fire in Hayward 26 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 10 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos