East Bay News
Two hit-and-run drivers kill man in Fremont
FREMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- Fremont police are trying to find the drivers of two vehicles they believe hit and killed a pedestrian around 8 p.m. on Ardenwood Boulevard in Fremont Monday night.
Ralph Huerta, 56, had just finished pushing his friend Bruce across the street in his wheelchair. The stretch of Ardenwood Boulevard near Highway 84 does not have a crosswalk.
Huerta's friends say the corner is one of his favorite hang outs; some of this drinking buddies live around here. His friends acknowledge that Huerta was jaywalking, but want the drivers who hit him to come forward.
"In my opinion, if it was somebody who was a law abiding citizen, not that I'm a complete square but, if you please try to understand where I'm trying to get with this, they would have pulled over," friend Rhonda Saladas said.
Saladas says he just stepped away from the camp to retrieve his bike and buy a beer at the nearby Circle K.
"I asked someone, 'Well could it be that they didn't realize that they hit him?' and Ralph was about 250 pounds, and they said, 'No way,'" Saladas said.
Police describe Huerta as an "urban camper." They say he was hit by two vehicles.
"It might have been a silver late model Toyota Rav 4, which we're still trying to find out, and then after that vehicle hit him another vehicle was behind that," Fremont Police Department spokesperson Mark Peters said.
Police say the second vehicle is possibly a 2003-2007 4-door Honda Accord.
They've been able to line up descriptions based on pieces of the cars that were left at the scene and at least one witness.
Huerta's three older brothers were notified by Fremont police and they're hoping someone might help with more information on this fatal hit and run.
"If there's someone out there that saw something, you know get in touch with us, you know, I guess that's the right thing to do," Robert Huerta said,
The Huerta brothers say Ralph was a veteran; a Marine who served three years in Beirut in the mid-1980s. They plan be contacting the VA for full military services.
Anyone with information on the hit and run is urged to call Fremont police at at (510) 790-6972 or (510) 790-6800.
fremont, hit and run, pedestrian struck, east bay news
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick 13 min ago
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 5 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 1 min ago
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
5 min ago