East Bay News
Sara Shourd criticizes, speaks out against Iran
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- One of the UC Berkeley graduates once imprisoned in Iran is now speaking out against the Iranian Government.
That's after originally thanking the regime after her release. Sara Shourd criticizes Iran for using her, Josh Fattal and Shane Bauer to further its own political causes, while disregarding justice and human liberty.
Shourd commented in an article she wrote for The Daily Beast. She says the thanks she expressed to Iran was out of fear for her fellow hikers who were still in custody.
Shourd also feels the U.S. could have done more to prevent or lessen their imprisonment. She was released in September of 2010 after spending more than a year in prison.
Bauer and Fattal were finally released a year later, this past September.
uc berkeley, iran, east bay news
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers 2 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire