East Bay News
Oakland ranked among top tourism destinations by NY Times
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Listed ahead of Tokyo and behind London, Oakland, Calif., ranked No. 5 among must-visit global destinations for 2012 by the New York Times' Travel section.
Oakland is attracting attention for the new restaurants and nightlife scene emerging across the city. In 2011, the city of Oakland attracted more than nine million visitors, city spokeswoman Sue Piper said.
The New York Times chose Oakland as a top destination because of what the publication considers the city's renowned chefs such as James Syhabout of Commis Restaurant on Piedmont Avenue and Daniel Patterson of Plum and Haven restaurants near the Uptown area and Jack London Square, respectively, which continue to attract more diners and fellow chefs to the city.
Much excitement also surrounds the 2009 reopening of the historic Fox Theater, attracting performing artists and visitors alike to its Uptown Oakland location.
To see the NY Times' full list of 45 must-visit destinations in 2012, click here.
oakland, travel, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep 29 min ago
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday 31 min ago
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
31 min ago