East Bay News
Elderly El Cerrito woman brutally beaten
EL CERRITO, Calif. (KGO) -- An 81-year-old El Cerrito woman is fighting for her life after being beaten and possibly sexually assaulted.
The Asian female was found in a dark corner near a Big O Tire store on San Pablo Avenue on the border between Richmond and El Cerrito early Saturday morning. The man who found her first thought she was homeless, until he saw blood.
The store manager says he does not usually look at that corner of the property until late in the day, but it was at 9 a.m. when he went to park a car that he saw the woman on the ground.
"When I asked her if she needed help, she looked up at me. Her face was all swollen, just blood everywhere, and she just nodded. She didn't answer me. She nodded," Art Ochoa recalled.
He called 9-1-1. Police arrived within minutes and quickly saw the woman's condition was critical.
"Due to her condition, she was airlifted to a local hospital. We haven't been able to get much more information from her at this point," Lt. Bisa French said.
Richmond police wonder if they will ever get to talk to her at all.
"At this point, we're not even sure if she's going to survive her injuries," French said.
Police say she is a local resident and still do not know if the attack happened Friday night or early Saturday morning. They also do not know the motive behind the attack and are not ruling out sexual assault.
Workers at the tire store say the area sees heavy traffic and that someone may have actually seen the attack. Police are asking anyone with any information to call them.
crime, el cerrito, east bay news
- Jahi McMath's family to hold rally, march in Oakland 26 min ago
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal 33 min ago
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Jahi McMath's mother writes letter about daughter 58 min ago
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control
- Neighbors: Nevada gunman had botched vasectomy
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos