East Bay News
Oakland layoff notices expected to go out today
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- This is the day California's municipal redevelopment agencies disappear to help balance the state budget. It's also the day 80 Oakland city workers will be notified that they are out of a job and the two events are definitely linked.
The lack of redevelopment funding leaves Oakland about $28 million in debt. That money was contributing to the salaries of 200 city employees, in 11 departments. Luckily, 200 people are not being laid off and there's other good news too.
Funding has been saved for the Oakland Zoo, Children's Fairyland, Hacidenda Peralta Historical Park and some jobs. In the original proposal by the mayor and city administrator, those community destinations faced a 40 percent cut to their budgets. The new budget leaves them whole however in the final plan.
There are 105 positions that have been eliminated from the city of Oakland. Not all of those were filled, so we're talking about 80 people losing their jobs. Also, the city is going to sell a former fire station and the Parks and Recreation and Human Services departments are merging. And some rec centers will have to reduce their hours.
The budget passed six to one. One council member called it heartbreaking, but necessary. The police, fire and library budgets will be untouched.
oakland, budget cuts, layoff, jobs, east bay news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 29 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York 45 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Consumer Reports evaluates best toilet papers
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos