East Bay News
Taco truck owner wounded in shootout with robber
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A would-be robber found himself involved a shootout early Thursday morning in Oakland's Fruitvale neighborhood when an armed taco truck owner defended himself, police said.
Police responded to reports of a shooting at 1:35 a.m. at a taco truck parked near the corner of Fruitvale Avenue and Foothill Boulevard, Officer Johnna Watson said.
Watson said the truck's owner was outside sweeping and doing other maintenance work when an armed man approached him and demanded money.
The truck owner was carrying a gun as well, and the two exchanged fire.
Both were shot, and were taken to hospitals, where they are in stable condition today.
The suspected robber has been placed under arrest but remains in the hospital under guard, Watson said.
Police have also detained two other people believed to be connected to the robbery, an adult man and a juvenile.
Officers canvassed the neighborhood this morning looking for witnesses and are trying to obtain surveillance video footage from nearby businesses.
This morning's incident is the latest in a string of robberies of taco trucks, Watson said. She said the trucks are inviting targets for robbers because they stay open late and deal in cash.
Oakland police have increased patrols in areas with late-night taco trucks, Watson said.
A shooting at an Oakland taco truck on Dec. 30 killed 5-year-old Gabriel Martinez, Jr. The boy was at the truck in the 5400 block of International Boulevard with his father, who owns the truck, when a gunman opened fire at about 8:40 p.m.
Police are still investigating that shooting, but have said they don't believe the boy was the intended target.
oakland, OPD, east bay news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support 57 min ago
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
33 min ago
- Journals show students' despair, hope
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos