East Bay News
Armored man arrested after firing gun near school
SAN PABLO, Calif. -- Police arrested an armed man who was shooting a gun near a San Pablo school on Tuesday afternoon.
Police received reports of a man firing a gun near Riverside Elementary School in the 5400 block of Glenn Avenue at around 2:30 p.m.
Officers responded and placed the school on lockdown.
They located the suspect, who had been firing shots in the air and attempting to shoot at passersby. Nobody was hit by gunfire.
One officer fired a Taser to subdue the man, but he was wearing ballistic body armor, and the Taser had no effect. The suspect then charged the officer, police said.
After a brief struggle, police took the man into custody. One officer suffered minor injuries during the scuffle, police said.
Police identified the man as 31-year-old Christopher Trinh. Police said they found the gun Trinh was allegedly firing, and spoke to three witnesses who said Trinh had tried to shoot at them.
A search of Trinh's apartment turned up more guns and ammunition.
Trinh was booked into the Martinez Detention Facility, police said.
san pablo, shooting, east bay news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos