East Bay News
Mythbusters to return to Dublin after cannonball incident
DUBLIN, Calif. -- Two Mythbusters stars are planning a return to Dublin this month, nearly two months since an accident caused by the Discovery Channel show's team sent a cannonball careening through a Dublin neighborhood.
Adam Savage and Kari Byron are planning to appear at Dublin High School on Feb. 22 as part of National Engineers Week 2012 to teach students about their passion for engineering and science.
They will hold a moderated panel discussion, taking questions submitted by Dublin students.
The event is free and open to the public, but the advance tickets made available through several area schools were snatched up quickly, and at the moment, no more seating is available.
The last time the Mythbusters stars appeared before Dublin residents Savage and Jamie Hyneman visited the neighborhood where a cannonball damaged several homes after an experiment missed its target on Dec. 6.
Savage and Hyneman toured the neighborhood and apologized to affected residents, saying that they had filmed in the neighborhood and the area for years under the supervision of the Alameda County Sheriff's Office without any major accidents.
Officials from the show appeared at a community meeting on Dec. 17 to address residents' concerns about safety. Many residents were furious that they had not been aware that Mythbusters had been conducting such experiments at a nearby shooting range.
After the accident, the sheriff's office closed the range and the Mythbusters have suspended any filming there.
"The sheriff closed the range until he gets a final report and makes a decision of what he wants to do," Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson said Wednesday.
Nelson added that he is unsure whether Mythbusters has been filming elsewhere in Alameda County, but said the show hasn't coordinated anything with the sheriff's office.
alameda county, dublin, explosion, television, east bay news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced 24 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home 27 min ago
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Little girl writes letter to store after breaking ornament
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday 11 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
12 min ago
- Vernon's View: "When we play them it's...
33 min ago
- Trial begins in Montana newlywed murder case
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos