East Bay News
Judge sets trial date in murder of Michelle Le
HAYWARD, Calif. -- A judge today set a Sept. 17 trial date for Giselle Esteban on a charge that she murdered nursing student Michelle Le.
In a twist of fate, Sept. 17 is the one-year anniversary of the day that Le's remains were found in a remote area between Pleasanton and Sunol.
Le, a 26-year-old San Mateo woman who was attending Samuel Merritt University in Oakland, had disappeared from Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Hayward on May 27.
Esteban, a 28-year-old Union City woman who attended high school with Le in San Diego, was charged with Le's murder on Sept. 8 -- before Le's body was found -- based on DNA evidence and cellphone records.
An Alameda County criminal grand jury indicted Esteban on an identical murder charge on Dec. 14 at the end of a three-day hearing. Prosecutors sought the indictment to try to speed up her trial.
The indictment allows prosecutors to bypass the step of having a preliminary hearing at which a judge determines if there is enough evidence against a defendant for a case to proceed to trial.
Esteban, who is being held at the county jail without bail, is scheduled to return to the courtroom of Alameda County Superior Court Judge Carrie Panetta on March 5 for a hearing on several pretrial motions.
According to the transcript of the grand jury's hearing, prosecutors believe that Esteban stalked and murdered Le because she blamed Le for wrecking her relationship with Scott Marasigan, who is the father of Esteban's daughter.
Esteban gave birth to a second child in November while she was in custody but the father of that child hasn't been disclosed.
missing person, michelle le, murder, east bay news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii 30 min ago
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety 48 min ago
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley 35 min ago
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Tri-Valley area could see higher drought rates 45 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall 47 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Homicide suspected after body found in San Jose
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- 7OYS explains how to get free car inspections
- Sharks beat Kings 4-3 in OT, take 3-0 series lead
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Suspected San Jose homicide; Warriors Arena
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos