East Bay News
Police officer breaking up brawl attacked by teens
LIVERMORE, Calif. -- Two men allegedly attacked a Livermore officer and broke his leg when police attempted to break up a large, drunken gathering early this morning.
Police had received multiple 911 calls about the rowdy even on the 900 block of Lambaren Avenue and responded to the scene shortly before 1:30 a.m., Police Officer Steve Goard said. Callers reported people screaming, bottles breaking and a possible fight.
Arriving on the scene, police found around 100 people in the area, including at least one male juvenile who was so drunk he was unable to walk.
When officers attempted to check on the male juvenile, however, a group of individuals became confrontational and a 17-year-old male urged others to challenge the police.
When officers attempted to handcuff the teen, he allegedly punched the officer in the face and torso multiple times. A 19-year-old male, later identified as Adrian Manzano, then allegedly jumped on the officer's back and choked the officer.
All three fell to the ground, and the two men continued to attack the officer until other officers were able to assist.
The attacked officer was taken to a hospital, where he was treated and released with a broken leg.
Manzano and the male juvenile, whose name was not released due to his age, were arrested on suspicion of battering a police officer with injury, resisting or deterring a police officer with force and willful resistance to a peace officer causing serious bodily injury.
Anyone who witnessed this incident or has information on it is asked to call Livermore Police Officer Steve Goard at (925) 294-7531.
livermore, crime, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday