East Bay News
Oakland had only 21 layoffs this week
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Only 21 Oakland city employees were laid off this week. That's far fewer than anyone expected.
Oakland first announced weeks ago that it would potentially have to layoff hundreds of employees and cut funding to several popular programs...to deal with the loss of $28 million in state redevelopment funds.
Later, city officials said they'd found enough money to save all but 80 jobs. Now, we're told a total of 37 employees facing layoffs were reassigned to similar positions, while 26 accepted lower-ranking jobs within the city.
oakland, budget cuts, layoff, jobs, east bay news
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk 49 min ago
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die 10 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday