East Bay News
Oakland had only 21 layoffs this week
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Only 21 Oakland city employees were laid off this week. That's far fewer than anyone expected.
Oakland first announced weeks ago that it would potentially have to layoff hundreds of employees and cut funding to several popular programs...to deal with the loss of $28 million in state redevelopment funds.
Later, city officials said they'd found enough money to save all but 80 jobs. Now, we're told a total of 37 employees facing layoffs were reassigned to similar positions, while 26 accepted lower-ranking jobs within the city.
oakland, budget cuts, layoff, jobs, east bay news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 45 min ago
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos