East Bay News
Suspect arrested after flat tire ends police chase
EL CERRITO, Calif. -- A man was arrested in El Cerrito early Monday after his car broke down as he fled from authorities, police said.
Marvin Percy Lee, a 42-year-old Kensington resident and parolee whom police call a "dangerous felon" was arrested around 12:30 a.m. Monday after allegedly recklessly evading officers, according to El Cerrito police.
An officer had spotted him near Interstate Highway 80 and Potrero Avenue driving a Honda Civic that had been reported stolen.
When Lee saw the patrol car, he allegedly sped away and made several turns to evade officers, police said.
A short chase ensued through town, in which the Honda ran several stop signs and red lights, according to police.
Police called off the chase in the interest of public safety, but re-initiated it when they saw smoke coming from the stolen car. The Honda slowed and officers caught up with Lee, but he then sped away again, according to police.
However, the car soon got a flat tire and came to a stop at San Pablo and Nevin avenues, police said.
Lee hopped out of the car and ran away, but a Richmond police officer and police canine who had joined the chase caught him and detained him, El Cerrito police said.
He was arrested and checked out at a nearby hospital before being booked into county jail in Martinez.
el cerrito, crime, police chase, east bay news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 22 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- One dead after house fire in Oakland 57 min ago
- Man arrested for DUI after injury crash in Russian Hill 43 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos