East Bay News
More Oakland officer to hit the streets
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland Mayor Jean Quan says 25 new officers will hit the streets later this month, all part of a new grant.
She says part of the new officers' duties will be making sure students get to and from school safely.
The mayor insists police records show the rate of crime in the city has not changed, but the types of homicides the city is experiencing, has.
Quan just recently rolled out her so-called "100 block strategy" for fighting crime. It focuses on the 5 percent of the city where 92 percent of the murders take place.
jean quan, oakland, crime, east bay news
- Boy's body found at the bottom of a canal in Antioch 4 min ago
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race 50 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 52 min ago
- Sharks look to extend series vs. Kings to 7th game
- Elderly woman with Alzheimer's missing in Palo Alto
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained 45 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday