East Bay News
More Oakland officer to hit the streets
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland Mayor Jean Quan says 25 new officers will hit the streets later this month, all part of a new grant.
She says part of the new officers' duties will be making sure students get to and from school safely.
The mayor insists police records show the rate of crime in the city has not changed, but the types of homicides the city is experiencing, has.
Quan just recently rolled out her so-called "100 block strategy" for fighting crime. It focuses on the 5 percent of the city where 92 percent of the murders take place.
jean quan, oakland, crime, east bay news
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts 50 min ago
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos