East Bay News
More Oakland officer to hit the streets
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland Mayor Jean Quan says 25 new officers will hit the streets later this month, all part of a new grant.
She says part of the new officers' duties will be making sure students get to and from school safely.
The mayor insists police records show the rate of crime in the city has not changed, but the types of homicides the city is experiencing, has.
Quan just recently rolled out her so-called "100 block strategy" for fighting crime. It focuses on the 5 percent of the city where 92 percent of the murders take place.
jean quan, oakland, crime, east bay news
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet 5 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail 42 min ago
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 17 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 9 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos