East Bay News
Recall effort against Oakland mayor hits snag
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- One of the two petition drives aimed at recalling Oakland Mayor Jean Quan is being dropped.
The Recall and Restore campaign committee announced Monday it is ceasing operations.
"Recall and Restore was unable to obtain sufficient funds for paid canvassing," Charles Pine, founder of the campaign, wrote in a statement.
Without those paid gatherers, Recall and Restore could not collect the required 20,000 petition signatures by its May 14 deadline.
But, a second recall effort by a group called the Committee to Recall Jean Quan Now does have paid canvassers and expects to gather enough verified signatures by its July 2 deadline.
"It was unfortunate that there had to be two separate petitions," said Frank Castro, who is with the surviving campaign. "But we were all on the same page in terms of the single goal that we had of both organizations, which was getting the recall measure placed on the November ballot."
Quan has had little to say about the recall campaigns. Her spokesperson said the mayor had no comment on the demise of one of the groups, saying Quan prefers to focus on city business.
Pamela Drake, who is part of the Stand with Oakland, Stop the Recall group, is speaking up for the mayor. Her group encourages Oakland voters to reject all recall efforts.
"It's completely a waste of time, it's a waste of money, and it's very divisive at a time when Oaklanders really need to pull together under all the economic strains," Drake said.
Recall supporters are shooting to have their measure on the November ballot to spare the city the trouble and expense of having a special election.
jean quan, occupy oakland, oakland, east bay news, laura anthony
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four 17 min ago
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans 54 min ago
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
45 min ago