East Bay News
Man charged with murder for fire death
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A San Leandro man has been arrested and charged with murder for allegedly killing a man whose body was found in a burning house in unincorporated Hayward in November, Alameda County sheriff's officials said today.
Alex Olachea, 27, has already been arraigned on the charge that he murdered 32-year-old Ryan Casias of Hayward at the house at 21843 Princeton St. on Nov. 29 and was scheduled to return to Alameda County Superior Court in Hayward this afternoon to be assigned an attorney and possibly enter a plea.
The investigation began when firefighters responded to reports of a fire at that residence at about 7:50 a.m. on Nov. 29.
When firefighters put out the blaze, they discovered Casias' dead body inside the house and turned the matter over to sheriff's investigators, who treated the death as a homicide.
An autopsy later revealed that Casias died as a result of foul play, sheriff's Sgt. J.D. Nelson said.
Nelson said he did not know the exact cause of death of Casias, who was identified through dental records.
Olachea had already been in custody since Nov. 30 on unrelated charges and investigators ultimately identified him as the person they believe killed Casias, Nelson said.
Sheriff's investigators also determined that Olachea was responsible for a non-fatal shooting in November several days before the fire, Nelson said. Olachea is charged with attempted murder for that incident, according to Nelson.
Anyone with information about either case can call Detective Pat Smyth at (510) 725-5494 or Detective James McGrail at (510) 529-5493. People can also call an anonymous tip line at (510) 667-3622.
Olachea is being held at the county jail in Dublin without bail. ,/p>
san leandro, fire, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support 59 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed 27 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- Bay Point man arrested in connection with '95 murder 15 min ago
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced
- Target shopper files suit over security breach
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on...
59 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos