East Bay News
8-year-old injured in road rage shooting
RICHMOND, Calif. (KGO) -- A little boy is recovering after being shot in what looks like a case of road rage that began off Highway 80 and Hilltop Drive and ended in a residential neighborhood.
Richmond police say the 8-year-old is expected to make a full recovery and they credit "ShotSpotter" for alerting them to the scene of the gunfire before they received a single call.
The boy was shot when a driver opened fire at the car he was riding in. Police say it all started around 10:30 Monday night at the intersection of Hilltop Drive and I80. They say the boy's father may have cut off the driver of another car and that is when the upset driver followed the victim, showed signs of serious road-rage, pulled up next to him in the 3000 block of Birmingham Drive, and fired several gunshots into the car striking the child sitting in the back seat.
"Anytime a child is injured in any type of violence, it pulls at the heartstrings of not only the officers, but the community and everybody involved. As a parent of a child, can you imagine how hopeless you would feel if your child was shot in the backseat of your vehicle," Lt. Bisa French said.
Police credit ShotSpotter for their ability to respond quickly to the scene. The equipment uses a combination of sensors and allows them to pinpoint where shots are fired, how many rounds have been discharged, and includes a map and address location of each incident. The boy's father, his wife, and another small child were in the car, but only the 8-year-old sustained injury.
Police have not identified any suspects, saying only that they are looking for a suspect vehicle. They are describing is as a dark-colored Crown Victoria that may resemble an old police vehicle. They say it was driven by a black male.
Anyone with information is asked to call Richmond police.
richmond, crime, shooting, road rage, east bay news
- Boy's body found at the bottom of a canal in Antioch 31 min ago
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 7 min ago
- Sharks look to extend series vs. Kings to 7th game
- Missing elderly Palo Alto woman with Alzheimer's found 13 min ago
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial...
1 min ago