East Bay News
Sara Bareillis helps award Fremont school with prize
FREMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- A Grammy-nominated, singer-songwriter made special music for elementary school kids in Fremont Tuesday and brought them money to help keep the music in schools.
Sara Bareillis is known for her number one hit "Love Song" and she made musical magic for Mattos Elementary School kids when she brought a $10,000 check for the Fremont school's music program. The money is from a contest sponsored by a soymilk company. Bareillis knows the importance of music in schools, since that's how she stared as a young girl in Eureka.
"I started playing piano when I was 6 and I took some lessons, but it was mostly because we always had music integrated into the classroom that I really got to nurture and learn that I really had a love and passion for it," said Bareillis.
Now she is encouraging a new generation.
"Music education in schools doesn't just benefit the musically inclined students, it help all students perform better in other subject areas," said Tammy Eglinton, the Mattos Elementary School principal.
That $10,000 will be put to good use. They're going to install a new sound system and use it for an afterschool band program and afterschool musical theatre.
The $10,000 is the grand prize in an online contest called "Nice Job, Mom. We Rock" won by a student's mother. She came up with tips for a healthy lifestyle.
"Involve your son with your daily activities: cooking, gardening, cleaning house," said Sandy Nevels, the contest winner.
Nevels and her son Alex also got a trip to Disneyland and saw Bareillis in concert, but they've had other payoffs from Facebook games. Her son won $1,000 for the art program.
"I just won a computer last week," said Nevels.
Let's hope some of her good luck rubs off on us and on education because music in schools can lead to a successful career, like Bareillis has proven.
fremont, music, school competition, east bay news, don sanchez
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 15 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 56 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
47 min ago