East Bay News
Lottery fans line up at Kavanagh Liquors
SAN LORENZO, Calif. (KGO) -- Friday night's $500 million Mega Millions jackpot is unprecedented. Just six numbers separating the hopeful from the biggest jackpot in world history.
There was a long line outside Kavanagh Liquors in San Lorenzo which has sold four winning tickets in the past. They also sold a fifth winning lottery ticket years ago for $28 million, but nobody claimed it. Many people think the store is lucky and waited in line for an hour to buy their lottery ticket there on Thursday.
"This store has a reputation, Kavanagh's, for winners," said Willie Brown from Hayward.
"The most in Northern California. We just had one in January and now this big Mega Millions jackpot, it looks like everybody knows it," said store manager David Spahn.
They've had four claimed jackpots. The latest was worth $11 million.
"She was a regular and she just played one quick pick for advanced play and it was her husband's number, who unfortunately had passed away a few years back, but it was kind of cool," said Spahn.
"We bought 800 quick pick numbers," said Danielle Barnes of Livermore. She hopes her work pool will have the next winning combination. "It's probably about 150 of Alameda County's finest paramedics and EMTs."
And really, they're playing for more than $540 million.
"As the jackpot gets higher, which we're at $540 million, and sure to be higher by the time we hit tomorrow's draw," said Fred Cherniack from the California State Lottery.
Kavanagh's sold 80,000 tickets for this jackpot. Lottery officials are saying that it is likely that someone will pick the 6 numbers needed to win, since so many people have bought tickets.
lottery, san lorenzo, east bay news
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 43 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun
- Pair sets record with BASE jump off world's... 21 min ago
- Minnie Driver faces body bullies, tweets nude photo 13 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan