East Bay News
Speeding driver kills father, young daughter on bikes
CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- Police say a speeding teenage driver carved a destructive and deadly path in Concord Saturday, killing a father and his young daughter.
"This is a horrific accident. It's during Easter weekend when families are together, innocently riding bikes down the street and unfortunately this tragedy occurred," said Contra Costa County Fire Marshal Lewis Broschard.
The crash happened moments after the 17-year-old driver crossed Oak Grove on Treat and lost control.
It was just as Solaiman Nuri and his two young daughters, out on their weekly bike ride, were riding by on the sidewalk. They were just a few yards from home when they were hit.
Solaiman died immediately. "I went over to the man and when I got there it was obvious he was dead. But I checked for breathing and I checked for a pulse and I couldn't find either one," said witness Suan Surls.
Solaiman's 8-year-old daughter Hadessa died soon after. His 11-year-old daughter is in stable condition.
Another witness, Racheline Ayun, said, "They were just minding their own business, riding their bikes on the sidewalk, and you don't think something like that in a split second."
The 17-year-old driver, who we've chosen not to identify, is charged with manslaughter. Police say he was speeding.
The driver called a friend, Adam Gartside, moments after the crash.
"He said he had gotten into a car accident, lost control he might've hit, or no he said, he did hit people. He might've killed two," Gartside said.
The driver goes to Olympic High School, which is a continuation school in Concord.
It's not clear where he was going Saturday morning, but his friend says the driver has gotten several speeding tickets in the past.
concord, contra costa county, bikes, east bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested 48 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash 29 min ago
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal 18 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer...
48 min ago
- Little progress made in search for missing...
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos