East Bay News
Community mourns father, daughter killed by SUV
CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- People stopped by all day Sunday to place flowers at the site of a deadly crash that ended the lives of a father and his young daughter.
Teddy bears, balloons and candles now mark the spot where 41-year-old Solaiman Nuri and his daughter Hadessa were killed during a morning bicycle ride.
Nuri's 11-year-old daughter also suffered a broken leg.
The Nuris were just a few yards from home on Treat Boulevard when they were hit by a SUV Saturday.
The accident has especially affected those families with young children. The thought of losing their own child in a similar manner brought many to the memorial on Treat Avenue.
Concord police are investigating whether the young driver was on his cell phone. To that end they are looking into the teen's cell phone records.
Police say speed was a factor in this accident as well as an unsafe lane change. The driver has been arrested for manslaughter.
concord, contra costa county, bikes, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Crews placing grass at 49ers' Levi's Stadium
- Hydrants painted to mark contributions to 1906 fires 12 min ago
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- SF Mayor pledges to fix public housing elevators 36 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch