East Bay News
Strip mall fire may have been caused by thieves
SAN LORENZO, Calif. -- Firefighters extinguished an electrical fire on the roof of a strip mall in San Lorenzo early this morning, and investigators believe the fire may have been started by thieves attempting to steal copper wiring, a fire spokeswoman said.
Firefighters responded to the fire at 17950 Hesperian Blvd. at 1:53 a.m. and found smoke coming from the roof of the 15-store strip mall, Alameda County fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.
It took 40 minutes to contain the fire, which was on the roof over the Cash 4 Gold and Pretty in Pink stores.
Firefighters discovered wire-cutting tools on the roof, leading investigators to conclude that thieves were trying to remove copper wiring from the roof, causing the fire.
PG&E has shut down power to all but two stores in the strip mall, Auto Zone and Hesperian Dental, and the power will remain off until a contractor is able to inspect the wiring to determine if there is any further fire danger, Knowles said.
No injuries were reported among the 24 firefighters that responded to the call. The Alameda County Sheriff's Office is investigating the tools and evidence of theft found on the roof.
san lorenzo, fire, crime, east bay news
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire 7 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Best methods for brewing coffee at home
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos