East Bay News
Father, daughter killed in Concord laid to rest
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- Funeral services were held Wednesday for the East Bay father and daughter killed Saturday after a SUV slammed into their bicycles.
Solaiman Nuri, 41, and his 9-year-old daughter Hadessa were laid to rest in a traditional Muslim service in Antioch. The two were hit and killed by a teenage driver in Concord Saturday.
Hundreds of people showed up to the service to pay final respects.
"It says how loved they were, how important to the community, how our hearts are broken for this family and we all want to come together and show how Hadessa and her father helped this community and made us stronger as people," teacher's aide Kristin Birdwell said.
The scene of the accident is now the site of a growing memorial.
As for the 17-year-old boy accused of hitting them, he was released from jail Tuesday and will likely face vehicular manslaughter charges.
The family has set up a memorial fund at the Wells Fargo branch at 4599 Clayon Road in Concord for anyone who would like to make donations. Donations can be made to the Soliaman and Hadessa Nuri Memorial Fund (account number 3268148529) at any Wells Fargo branch.
concord, contra costa county, bikes, crash, crime, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area 51 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Dawson go-ahead field goal lifts 49ers by Seattle
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Time announces finalists for Person of the Year 18 min ago
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos