East Bay News
Father, daughter killed in Concord laid to rest
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- Funeral services were held Wednesday for the East Bay father and daughter killed Saturday after a SUV slammed into their bicycles.
Solaiman Nuri, 41, and his 9-year-old daughter Hadessa were laid to rest in a traditional Muslim service in Antioch. The two were hit and killed by a teenage driver in Concord Saturday.
Hundreds of people showed up to the service to pay final respects.
"It says how loved they were, how important to the community, how our hearts are broken for this family and we all want to come together and show how Hadessa and her father helped this community and made us stronger as people," teacher's aide Kristin Birdwell said.
The scene of the accident is now the site of a growing memorial.
As for the 17-year-old boy accused of hitting them, he was released from jail Tuesday and will likely face vehicular manslaughter charges.
The family has set up a memorial fund at the Wells Fargo branch at 4599 Clayon Road in Concord for anyone who would like to make donations. Donations can be made to the Soliaman and Hadessa Nuri Memorial Fund (account number 3268148529) at any Wells Fargo branch.
concord, contra costa county, bikes, crash, crime, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting 57 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 31 min ago
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
29 min ago