East Bay News
Fire officials arrest Lafayette arsonist
LAFAYETTE, Calif. (KGO) -- Fire officials in Contra Costa County have arrested a known arsonist, who's suspected of setting three grass fires in Lafayette.
Brent Robert Kastroff, 62, is accused of setting one of the fires last year -- and then starting two more fires this year.
Kastroff reportedly admitted to burning papers on small spots of grass on a property next to his home. Although the fires were quickly extinguished -- fire officials say the damage could have been far worse.
"He was lighting grass and trash in an area that had a very high potential for very serious wildfires and the earliest fire we documented was in May of 2011, which would be in the beginning of the wildfire season," said Vic Massenkoff, a Contra Costa fire investigator.
Kastroff was arrested in 1998 for setting a fire in a San Rafael trash can. Investigators say he may be responsible for setting as many as nine fires in the Walnut Creek area.
lafayette, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos