East Bay News
Fire officials arrest Lafayette arsonist
LAFAYETTE, Calif. (KGO) -- Fire officials in Contra Costa County have arrested a known arsonist, who's suspected of setting three grass fires in Lafayette.
Brent Robert Kastroff, 62, is accused of setting one of the fires last year -- and then starting two more fires this year.
Kastroff reportedly admitted to burning papers on small spots of grass on a property next to his home. Although the fires were quickly extinguished -- fire officials say the damage could have been far worse.
"He was lighting grass and trash in an area that had a very high potential for very serious wildfires and the earliest fire we documented was in May of 2011, which would be in the beginning of the wildfire season," said Vic Massenkoff, a Contra Costa fire investigator.
Kastroff was arrested in 1998 for setting a fire in a San Rafael trash can. Investigators say he may be responsible for setting as many as nine fires in the Walnut Creek area.
lafayette, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Consumer Reports tests gray hair touch up products
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year 17 min ago
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday