East Bay News
Nadia Lockyer reveals why she resigned
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- On Tuesday the Alameda County Board of Supervisors will vote on accepting the resignation of fellow supervisor Nadia Lockyer.
She spoke on camera for the first time Saturday. During a four-minute interview with a San Jose Mercury News reporter, 40-year old Lockyer spoke about why she resigned.
Lockyer reignited a relationship with ex-boyfriend 35-year-old Stephen Chikhani last summer. Chikhani has a history of methamphetamine abuse and met Lockyer in a rehab program in 2010.
That renewed relationship caused friction with her husband, 70-year-old state Treasurer Bill Lockyer.
Then in February she accused Chikhani of assaulting her in a Newark hotel room, causing head and neck injuries. Days later she entered into rehab.
"I do need to resign cause I need to really, really focus on my recovery from both the assault, that abusive relationship, you know, healing my heart and my pysche," she said.
In her letter of resignation she wrote she also wants to also concentrate on raising her child. Her fellow supervisors say that all the constant media attention caused too many distractions. They say they support her and her decision to resign.
"I loved being a supervisor and I think I did a hell of a job. I do. I do think I accomplished a lot in that short year," Lockyer said.
The board will have 60 days in which to select a replacement to serve out her term. If they can't find one in 60 days Governor Jerry Brown will appoint a successor.
oakland, alameda county, east bay news
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 56 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
26 min ago