East Bay News
Nadia Lockyer reveals why she resigned
HAYWARD, Calif. (KGO) -- On Tuesday the Alameda County Board of Supervisors will vote on accepting the resignation of fellow supervisor Nadia Lockyer.
She spoke on camera for the first time Saturday. During a four-minute interview with a San Jose Mercury News reporter, 40-year old Lockyer spoke about why she resigned.
Lockyer reignited a relationship with ex-boyfriend 35-year-old Stephen Chikhani last summer. Chikhani has a history of methamphetamine abuse and met Lockyer in a rehab program in 2010.
That renewed relationship caused friction with her husband, 70-year-old state Treasurer Bill Lockyer.
Then in February she accused Chikhani of assaulting her in a Newark hotel room, causing head and neck injuries. Days later she entered into rehab.
"I do need to resign cause I need to really, really focus on my recovery from both the assault, that abusive relationship, you know, healing my heart and my pysche," she said.
In her letter of resignation she wrote she also wants to also concentrate on raising her child. Her fellow supervisors say that all the constant media attention caused too many distractions. They say they support her and her decision to resign.
"I loved being a supervisor and I think I did a hell of a job. I do. I do think I accomplished a lot in that short year," Lockyer said.
The board will have 60 days in which to select a replacement to serve out her term. If they can't find one in 60 days Governor Jerry Brown will appoint a successor.
oakland, alameda county, east bay news
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup 13 min ago
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF 1 min ago
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house fire
- 'Attractive & Fat' campaign slams Abercrombie & Fitch
- Results of Consumer Reports test of sunscreens 28 min ago
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos