East Bay News
Suspect in Oikos University massacre refusing to eat
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The man accused of killing seven people and wounding three others in a shooting rampage at Oakland's Oikos University earlier this month is refusing to eat and has been placed in a jail infirmary, an Alameda County sheriff's spokesman said today.
One Goh, 43, has not eaten since he was booked into jail after the April 2 shooting, Alameda County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson said. The news comes as students return to the campus for the first time since the shooting three weeks ago.
Jail officials say One Goh has not eaten any solid food since arrived at the jail nearly three weeks ago. Last Friday, they transferred him to the medical unit after it appeared he was losing weight. They spoke with him and say he is not doing this in protest or because he is trying commit suicide. He simply hasn't been hungry. "Quite honestly, this is not uncommon, in the fact when people are accused of serious crimes, they get to the jail, they're put in an 8x12 cell, and that is now your life for the foreseeable future, and you sit around and you look at those walls, and you feel shame, and you're not hungry," explained. What is unusual about this is that it's gone on for two and a half, almost three weeks now," Nelson said.
Jail officials say One Goh is not being force fed, he does not have an IV, and he has the right to refuse food. So far, it's not a dire emergency but it could impact his interview schedule. Since being arrested for the shooting, he has been speaking publically to the media and he has admitted to killing his seven victims. Those killed were students Lydia Sim, 21, Sonam Choedon, 33, Grace Kim, 23, Doris Chibuko, 40, Judith Seymour, 53, and Tshering Bhutia, 38, and administrator Katleen Ping, 24.
Goh, who is being held without bail, is scheduled to return to court April 30 to enter a plea.
shooting, crime, oakland, Oikos shooting, east bay news, alan wang
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control 15 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges 30 min ago
- Mother, toddler endure violent home invasion robbery
- Pope Francis visits Rome children's hospital
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick 50 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday