East Bay News
Assemblyman was drunk at time of DUI arrest
CONCORD, Calif. -- Blood test results show that a Southern California state assemblyman arrested on suspicion of DUI in Concord last month was legally drunk at the time of the arrest, Concord police announced Wednesday.
State Assemblyman Roger Hernandez, D-West Covina, was arrested around 2 a.m. on March 27 after failing a field sobriety test, police said.
An officer had spotted Hernandez, 36, weaving in a car near Concord Avenue and Meridian Park Boulevard and failing to use turn signals, according to police.
Hernandez was taken to Concord Police Jail, where a blood test was performed. A 29-year-old woman who was with him in the car was released at the scene.
Hernandez's blood-alcohol level was 0.08 at the time of his arrest, chemical test results now reveal, according to police. That means he was just over the threshold for being considered legally intoxicated.
Police said they have turned their information over to the district attorney's office for a charging decision.
Hernandez is the state Assembly's assistant majority whip, and represents the 57th Assembly district, which includes the cities of Azusa, Baldwin Park, Covina and Irwindale.
A spokesman from the assemblyman's office was not available for comment Wednesday morning.
concord, DUI, east bay news
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area 42 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for today 1 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos