East Bay News
Newark Memorial High football player fatally stabbed
NEWARK, Calif. (KGO) -- Students at Newark Memorial High school are mourning the death of a star football player killed over the weekend. Osana Futi, 18, lost his best friend to violence a year ago and now friends and fellow students are mourning his death.
There have been two murders of students in the past 16 months. Parents and students we spoke to say enough is enough.
"I just pray to God to help our kids because they can't even do the right thing and be safe anymore," said Tyra Richburg, a school parent.
Richburg's son was a good friend of the teenager who was killed over the weekend.
Police say it was a large party at Hyde Park and Yellowstone Park Drive Saturday night that went out of control.
"A couple of neighbors called and heard gunshots and when officers responded, we didn't find any evidence of that," said Fremont Police Sgt. Jeff Campbell.
What police found was Futi on the ground with fatal stab wounds. He died later at the hospital.
His friends memorialized him on YouTube. Futi was a star football player. He played both running back and linebacker and last year, was named defensive player of the year in the Mission Valley Athletic League.
"He ran the ball very well because he's a big guy and it's hard to stop him," said Edward Marquez, the Newark Memorial High principal.
Suy Tran was a close friend.
"Osana was a great loving guy. He was full of smiles, laughter. I was really close friends with him. He had your back no matter what," said Tran.
But this amiable, fun loving teen had a hard time coping with the murder of his closest friend Justice Afoa in December 2010. He threatened the life of another student who said unkind things about Afoa. For that, he was expelled from school, a decision however, that was later rescinded.
Tran says Futi was just starting to accept the loss of his close friend Afoa, when this happened.
The street-side tribute, which paid respect to Afoa when he was killed, is now also a memorial for his close friend.
There are also plans for a bake sale to raise money to cover the cost of the funeral.
"It just needs to stop now. We don't want anyone else hurt, like two dead is enough," said Tran.
Fremont police began making arrests around 7 p.m. Sunday. They arrested Abraham Ibrahim Hade, 18, and charged him with murder. They also arrested three juveniles and charged them with being accessories to that murder.
newark, crime, east bay news, vic lee
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party 14 min ago
- Fremont roadway closed after car strikes utility pole
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado
- Nicasio lifts Rockies to 5-0 win over Giants 57 min ago
- Cespedes homer helps A's complete sweep of Royals
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos