East Bay News
Man suspected of smashing windows arrested
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A man suspected of robbing three San Leandro businesses by throwing rocks through their front windows was arrested on Wednesday, police said.
The three businesses, Galvan's Market on Macarthur Boulevard, Portofino's Italian Restaurant on Dutton Avenue and Purple Pepper Pizza on Macarthur Boulevard, were all robbed between 1 a.m. and 2:10 a.m. Wednesday, police said.
In each of the burglaries the suspect threw a large stone through the font glass door of the business and took either the cash register or the till.
A witness of the burglary at Galvan's Market provided a license plate number to San Leandro police, who alerted the Alameda County Sheriff's Office and other local police agencies.
The plate was registered to a residence in Dublin, police said.
Sheriff's deputies spotted the suspected car near the corner of Mattox Road and Foothill Boulevard in Castro Valley and followed it in a low speed chase, police said.
The chase ended in the area of Hesperian Boulevard and Lewelling Boulevard in San Leandro, where San Leandro police arrived and arrested the driver.
Police identified the driver as Brian Anderson, 40, of Dublin. Police said broken glass and large stones like the ones used in the burglaries were found in his car.
Anderson was arrested on suspicion of committing similar robberies in 2009, police said.
san leandro, crime, east bay news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Woman suspected of starting brush fire arrested
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos