East Bay News
Former cop sentenced to three years in prison
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A federal judge sentenced a former San Ramon police officer to three years in prison today for his involvement in a Contra Costa County law enforcement scandal.
Louis Lombardi, 39, was convicted in January after admitting to four misdemeanor counts for stealing thousands of dollars in cash and property during searches of suspects' homes.
He also pleaded guilty to five counts of possessing and selling drugs and stolen firearms while he worked on the Central Contra Costa County Narcotics Enforcement Team, or CNET.
U.S. District Judge Saundra B. Armstrong sentenced Lombardi to the prison term and ordered him to pay $7,500 to the city of San Ramon during a hearing in Oakland today.
Lombardi will serve the term in a federal prison in Oregon. His attorney, Dirk Manoukian, had asked for Lombardi to be placed there to avoid being incarcerated with some of the criminals he dealt with as a police officer.
The judge was also expected this afternoon to receive a guilty plea from Christopher Butler, 50, a private detective and former police officer.
Along with two other former police officers, the pair was indicted in federal court last year for a series of crimes that included stealing cash, guns and drugs during search warrant operations.
Butler, a former Antioch police officer, was charged with conspiracy; selling methamphetamine, marijuana and steroids; and possessing methamphetamine, marijuana and steroids for sale.
OPD, corruption, crime, east bay news
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke near Candlestick 19 min ago
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Oakland boys' choir to sing for Mandela...
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos