East Bay News
Former cop sentenced to three years in prison
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A federal judge sentenced a former San Ramon police officer to three years in prison today for his involvement in a Contra Costa County law enforcement scandal.
Louis Lombardi, 39, was convicted in January after admitting to four misdemeanor counts for stealing thousands of dollars in cash and property during searches of suspects' homes.
He also pleaded guilty to five counts of possessing and selling drugs and stolen firearms while he worked on the Central Contra Costa County Narcotics Enforcement Team, or CNET.
U.S. District Judge Saundra B. Armstrong sentenced Lombardi to the prison term and ordered him to pay $7,500 to the city of San Ramon during a hearing in Oakland today.
Lombardi will serve the term in a federal prison in Oregon. His attorney, Dirk Manoukian, had asked for Lombardi to be placed there to avoid being incarcerated with some of the criminals he dealt with as a police officer.
The judge was also expected this afternoon to receive a guilty plea from Christopher Butler, 50, a private detective and former police officer.
Along with two other former police officers, the pair was indicted in federal court last year for a series of crimes that included stealing cash, guns and drugs during search warrant operations.
Butler, a former Antioch police officer, was charged with conspiracy; selling methamphetamine, marijuana and steroids; and possessing methamphetamine, marijuana and steroids for sale.
OPD, corruption, crime, east bay news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos