East Bay News
2-year-old stable after mauling by family pit bull
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A 2-year-old girl is in stable condition after being mauled by the family pit bull in Concord Monday.
Letty McQuay is suffering from bite wounds to her face, head and leg. She was transported to Children's Hospital in Oakland by helicopter after the attack.
Witnesses said someone from the house rushed the girl outside as soon as paramedics arrived.
"I saw the girl was running with the baby in her hands and kind of crying. And just everybody just trying to get the baby," neighbor Alex Miranda said.
Animal control officers seized the pit bull from the home soon after the attack. They said the bites to the little girl are severe.
It's unclear what led up to the mauling, but officers say several family members were home when it happened.
According to neighbors, John McQuay and Maritza Jiminez-McQuay are Letty's parents.
Lt. Joe DeCosta of Contra Costa County Animal Control said: "There's always the potential we'll be investigating whether or not they had knowledge of the dog having prior aggressive history."
If that was the case, there's potential they could face some legal criminal charges, but DeCosta said that at this point it doesn't appear that's the case.
At least one neighbor was surprised by the attack. Hosay Jamili owns three dogs. She says she has never seen the pit bull act aggressively in any way.
Jamili said the pit bull was very calm and subdued. "They always had great control on him and he's never lunged at our dogs," she said.
animal, concord, children, dog attack, east bay news, lilian kim
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found 57 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible 57 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts 45 min ago
- Footage examined to ID two with stolen...
32 min ago