East Bay News
Deputies find body in Castro Valley home
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Investigators in Castro Valley are trying to unravel a murder mystery after finding the body of a young man in a home in the 4300 block of Omega Avenue Monday night.
Police were not expecting to find a body at the location and were very surprised. Neighbors say things don't add up and they want to know more. Sheriff's deputies decided to do a probation check at the home Monday night after receiving calls about criminal activity in this Castro Valley neighborhood. They couldn't believe what they found inside. "When they entered the house, there was a significant amount of blood and at that time, they froze the house and later discovered the body," OPD Sgt. JD Nelson told ABC7 News.
Nelson isn't sure if anyone else was home or if deputies barged in when no one answered the door. He says they checked other parolees in the neighborhood as well, but they did not specifically target the home on Omega Ave. "It's a very unusual circumstance, yes. We do probation parole searches quite frequently. Not very often that you go in and find a bloody scene and then a body to go along with that," Nelson said. Investigators say they don't know the cause of death or the identity of the victim. They don't think the deceased is the person on probation they were originally checking on. "In this particular case, we don't believe he was there," Nelson said.
"That's crazy. Why would you just pinpoint that house exactly?" neighbor Christina Rodriguez asked. "They've been very scarce with us since last night. You have kids in the neighborhood. You kind of want to know what's going on." Neighbors say a woman and her two adult children live in the home. One neighbor who said she spoke with the adult daughter and the ex-husband of the homeowner Monday night said they don't know who was found dead in their home and that the police were not telling them anything.
Some residents of Omega Avenue find the murder mystery in the middle of heir block unnerving. "I'm shocked. My grandkids are nervous," one woman said.
The coroner is now doing an investigation to figure out how the man died and who he is. No arrests have been made.
castro valley, crime, murder, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake 22 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 45 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco 6 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks 59 min ago
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested 38 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security 27 min ago
- Police arrest man, 3 teens for attempted home burglary 10 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case