East Bay News
Man threatened by robbers near BART station
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- A 52-year-old San Leandro man was threatened by two suspects late Monday night within a block of the San Leandro BART station.
At about 10:25 p.m., two unidentified male suspects approached the victim while he was walking near the intersection of West Estudillo and Alvarado streets, San Leandro Police Department Lt. Jeff Tudor said.
The first suspect approached the victim, pointed a black handgun at him and told him he was being robbed. The suspect then pushed the victim toward a fence and threatened to shoot him if he did not cooperate, police said.
The victim noticed a second suspect, who appeared to be standing as a lookout. The victim dropped his backpack and was able to run away from the suspects and call police.
The victim last saw the two suspects running down the railroad tracks toward Davis Street, police said. Officers searched the area, but have been unable to locate the two suspects.
"No shots were fired," Tudor said. "The victim was extremely fortunate that he was not seriously hurt."
The victim described both suspects as black males between the ages of 16 and 19 years old. The first suspect was described as about 5 feet 6 inches with a slim build, wearing a red hooded sweatshirt and armed with a black handgun. There was no further description of the second suspect, police said.
Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to call Detective Hidas at (510) 577-3239.
san leandro, crime, east bay news
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Man goes missing after Bay to Breakers race
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- UC hospitals say patients safe despite strike 45 min ago
- More than 100 gas grills put to the test 17 min ago
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Orinda fire; Obama coming to Bay Area
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday