East Bay News
Oakland SWAT calls off search for armed suspects
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland police have called off the search for armed carjacking suspects in a neighborhood on High Street. Police said there is evidence that the suspects have gotten away.
About 2 a.m. some officers were chasing the suspects on foot and saw them running into a neighborhood, but then officers decided to retreat.
"A couple of our officers picked up the vehicle nearby, a short chase ensued and then the vehicle ended up colliding on the 2400 block of High Street and the suspects fled into the yards. A large perimeter was set up. It was decided because they were armed, we didn't find any guns in the car, so we decided that they are still armed and we didn't have any air support so we decided to call out the SWAT team and let them do what they do best," said Oakland Police Sgt. Robert Supriano.
The SWAT team arrived around 4:30 a.m.
The original crime that started the search was a carjacking on Rosedale Avenue about 1:30 a.m. where the men pistol-whipped the driver and stole the car. Police spotted the car about 15 minutes later and pursued it.
Residents were being asked to stay inside while the search was being conducted. The neighborhood borders on High Street, Santa Rita, Brookdale and Frances.
Police found some clothing in the area and they are looking to see if it belongs to one of the suspects.
oakland, crime, OPD, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore 2 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
13 min ago
- Woman attacked by 200-pound bear
28 min ago
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos