East Bay News
Dublin police search for fatal hit-and-run driver
DUBLIN, Calif. (KGO) -- Dublin police are looking for the hit-and-run driver who killed a man who was walking with his bike along Dougherty Road at Fall Creek Road near the San Ramon border.
There were no skid marks found at the scene and the driver apparently left in a big hurry, but not before leaving some significant clues behind including a distinctive hood emblem. Dublin police say the car that hit and killed the man Tuesday night was likely a black 2012 Mercedes CLS 500/550 or CLS63.
Police received a call at about 11:30 p.m. that a man was down in the roadway. He was pronounced dead at the scene, a bike near his body. He has been identified only as a 55 to 60-year-old man.
"We're not sure actually if he was on a bicycle or if he was just walking on the side of the road with a bike," Lt. Herb Walters said. Asked if there was any way the driver would not have known they hit a person Walters said, "No. I'm fairly confident this driver did know he hit a person, especially with the evidence we found at the scene. We found the parts on the side of the road and possible glass fragments too."
There is a separate bike and walking path well off the roadway, but apparently the victim was not on it when he was struck. "At nighttime, this place, you literally cannot see the path right in front of you," Dublin resident Bianca Bushnell said. "I would never do that. I always bike on that side of the street. It's really dangerous. There's a path right here. I don't know why he wouldn't just use it."
Investigators say the car parts found include a hood ornament. They say the vehicle may also have some shattered windows or broken headlights. "Please turn yourself in. We need to find you. We need to solve this incident, this crime, and closure for the family of the victim," Lt. Herb said.
The name of the victim has not yet been released. Anyone with information or anyone who may have witnessed the accident is asked to call Dublin Police Investigation's Sgt. Yesenia Sanchez at 1-925-833-6682.
crash, dublin, hit and run, crime, east bay news, laura anthony
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Google barge moved to the Port of Stockton
- Pedestrian safety plan announced in San Francisco
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media in space 47 min ago
- Cronut creator invents 'shots' of milk and cookies
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media...
47 min ago