East Bay News
SWAT team called after man throws dog off balcony
LIVERMORE, Calif. -- A Motel 6 in Livermore was evacuated and a SWAT team called in early Wednesday morning after a man allegedly threw a small dog from a balcony and then pointed a gun at a fellow guest who confronted him about the dog-tossing, police said.
Police received a call around 2:30 a.m. about a confrontation between guests at the Motel 6 at 4673 Lassen Road, police said.
Arriving officers spoke with the victim, who told them he had seen the suspect, later identified as Michael Hamby, 39, throw a small dog off of a second-floor balcony, police said.
The dog landed on the ground below and was found uninjured, police said.
The victim confronted Hamby about throwing the dog, which led to an argument in which the motel clerk intervened and managed to get the two guests to return to their rooms, police said.
The victim told officers that a short time later, he heard a knock at his door and when he opened it, he allegedly found Hamby standing in the doorway. He said Hamby pointed a gun at him and then ran off, according to police.
A SWAT team consisting of Livermore and Pleasanton police officers was called to the motel because there was a gun involved, and because Livermore police have a history with Hamby, according to police.
Hamby had been arrested by Livermore police on April 27 on suspicion of assault, child endangerment and illegal firearm possession, police said.
When the SWAT team arrived, surrounding motel rooms and nearby businesses were evacuated, police said.
SWAT team members entered Hamby's room but he was not inside; however, he was located nearby and taken into custody around 7:20 a.m., police said.
Hamby was arrested on suspicion of felony animal cruelty and was booked into the Santa Rita Jail in Dublin, police said.
According to police, the victim is not pressing charges for the alleged gun incident. No gun was found at the scene, police said.
animal, animals in peril, livermore, east bay news
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 28 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 13 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years 17 min ago
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
28 min ago