East Bay News
Man arrested in hit-and-run that killed cyclist
SAN RAMON, Calif. (KGO) -- A San Ramon man has been arrested in connection with a hit-and-run that killed a bicyclist in Dublin earlier this week.
Dublin police say employment attorney Spencer Freeman Smith has been charged with vehicular manslaughter.
They say Freeman left the scene of the crime on Dougherty Road where a cyclist was killed Tuesday. The cyclist, a 60-year-old visiting Chinese national, was found dead on the shoulder amidst the remains of a Mercedes-Benz sedan.
Police used serial numbers from the car parts to identify it as a black, 2012 model that has a starting price of about $90,000.
"We got a court order and got a listing of everyone who bought a 2012 in that specific model from Mercedes," Lt. Herb Walters said.
Smith was first on their list because he lived nearby. Smith is an up-and-coming lawyer and a good family man by all accounts. His website talks about seven-figure legal victories and employee rights' cases.
"He's a nice guy. He's quiet," said neighbor Harriet Wilson. "I don't believe that that man ran over somebody and kept going and that person is dead and that is horrible."
On Thursday night police called Smith and met him at the house with his attorney. After serving a search warrant, police found the vehicle inside his garage.
The car was missing the parts that had been found at the scene, according to Walters. "It had extensive front-end damage to the bumper and to the windshield," he added.
Smith has posted $60,000 bail. Police say the investigation is not over yet. They want to know where Smith was before he allegedly hit the bicyclist and whether he was possibly drinking.
crash, dublin, hit and run, crime, east bay news, wayne freedman
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 40 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun
- Pair sets record with BASE jump off world's... 18 min ago
- Minnie Driver faces body bullies, tweets nude photo 10 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan