East Bay News
Memorial service to be held for Gayle Uilkema
A memorial service will is planned Thursday for longtime Contra Costa County Supervisor Gayle B. Uilkema, who died early Saturday at the age of 73 after battling ovarian cancer, according to her office.
Uilkema, who announced last fall that she planned to retire at the end of her term in January 2013, served on the Board of Supervisors for 16 years.
She represented the communities of Danville, Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda, San Ramon and the western part of Walnut Creek, as well as unincorporated communities including Alamo and Rossmoor.
The Detroit native and Lafayette resident also spent 19 years on the Lafayette City Council, and served as mayor four times.
When discussing her intention to step down from the Board of Supervisors last November, Uilkema said only that she felt it was time to leave office.
"I've been very privileged to have public support for over 30 years, and I'm grateful to the public for their faith in me," she said in November.
Uilkema pledged to provide the same level of public service during her last months in office but did not publicly discuss her illness.
Uilkema also vowed to focus her remaining time on the board on public safety projects, including a mobile identification system that would allow law enforcement officers to quickly identify suspects in the field.
Another longtime project at the top of her list, she said, was creating an improved interagency communication system among local police and fire agencies.
The memorial service for Uilkema will begin at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at St. Perpetua Catholic Church at 3454 Hamlin Road in Lafayette.
contra costa county, east bay news
- San Jose suing MLB for not allowing A's to move
- Dixon boy fatally mauled by dog in Union City
- One dead in Sunnyvale house fire on Central Avenue
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Colma BART station reopened after fatality
- 7 construction workers, firefighter hurt in SF General fire
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after SF Hwy 101 crash
- Authorities: Unattended campfire caused Calif. fire 37 min ago
- Intel chief: NSA foiled dozens of terrorist plots 53 min ago
- Woman attacked by girls on Muni Metro train
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: 'Night Stalker's' cause of death; CA water
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Intel chief: NSA foiled dozens of terrorist...
53 min ago