East Bay News
Wounded suspect returns to scene of Oakland standoff
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- There's a strange twist to the police standoff that began Monday night in Oakland. It happened in the same place where a suspect barricaded himself in a home overnight. Late Tuesday night, ABC7 spoke with police about this latest development.
It all started early Monday evening near 41st Avenue and International Boulevard when an Alameda County Sheriff's deputy tried to pull over a possible stolen car with three suspects in it. The driver gave chase, the suspects fled the vehicle, and the driver shot several rounds at the deputy before running into a home. The Sheriff's deputy was not hit, is OK, and initial reports from police say the deputy did not fire at the suspects. One suspect was arrested, one suspect barricaded himself in a home on High Street, and the other suspect got away.
Police say the man who escaped came back to the home where the standoff took place and knocked on the door around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.
When police were called out, they found the man identified as 47-year-old Jimmy Gregory. He was just a few blocks away near the Home Depot, just off of Interstate 880.
"He has a gunshot wound to his left calf and we're going to look into it more to see where he got that gunshot wound from. He was calm and just asked for help," said Oakland Police Sgt. Ross Tisdell.
Monday night there was quite a scene on the 500 block of High Street near Jensen. The suspect who ran into the home held three people hostage and barricaded himself inside the home for hours. He released two of the hostages, a woman and child, quickly and finally gave up the adult male hostage he was holding just after midnight. The suspect knew the man he held hostage, but their relationship is unknown. The suspect surrendered sometime early Tuesday around 3 a.m.
oakland, standoff, CHP, OPD, shooting, east bay news
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan 40 min ago
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
42 min ago
- False hopes dismay in search for missing jet
58 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop...
40 min ago