East Bay News
Suspect shot by deputies in Castro Valley
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. -- A man who was wanted on suspicion of attempted murder was shot by Alameda County sheriff's deputies in Castro Valley this afternoon, a sheriff's office spokesman said.
Deputies attempted to contact the suspect at around 4 p.m. near Queen Street and Grove Way, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson said.
When the 39-year-old suspect saw them, he jumped in a car and drove toward the deputies, Nelson said.
Nelson said the deputies fired shots at the car and struck the suspect.
The suspect continued to drive about a half mile before he ditched the car and ran away, Nelson said.
Residents told deputies that the suspect was hiding under a deck at a home near Ravenwood Place and Center Street. The deputies ordered the suspect out and when he did not comply they sent a K-9 in after him, according to Nelson.
"The K-9 got him out," he said.
The suspect was taken to Eden Medical Center in stable condition suffering from gunshot wounds and dog bites, according to Nelson.
Nelson said the suspect was wanted in connection with a shooting in San Leandro about a month ago in which a bullet went through the front door of a home and struck a woman in the arm.
About a week ago deputies tried to contact the suspect and he led them on a high-speed chase, Nelson said.
According to Nelson, in that chase the suspect was driving in the wrong direction at 90 mph near Oakland International Airport.
"This is par for the course with him," Nelson said. "He doesn't have any regard for anybody else's well being but his own."
castro valley, alameda county, east bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing 27 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos