East Bay News
Elderly woman dies after being struck by bicyclist
EL CERRITO, Calif. -- An elderly pedestrian died after being struck by a bicyclist in El Cerrito on Wednesday, according to the Contra Costa County coroner's office.
Mary Smith, 92, of El Cerrito, died from head injuries she suffered in the collision, a deputy coroner said this morning.
The collision occurred around 5:30 p.m. at the intersection of Arlington Boulevard and Brewster Drive in front of Arlington Park, El Cerrito Fire Battalion Chief Dave Gibson said today.
The cyclist was riding north on Arlington Boulevard when he struck Smith, who was unconscious when firefighters and paramedics arrived a short time later, Gibson said.
The bicyclist cooperated with police and emergency responders, and a couple of good Samaritans were helping the elderly woman when fire crews arrived, the battalion chief said.
Smith was transported by helicopter to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, where she succumbed to her injuries.
The bicyclist, a man, was treated for minor injuries he suffered in the collision, Gibson said.
el cerrito, crash, east bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire